Navigating the healthcare landscape often means trusting medical professionals, technology, and the devices intended to better our health. Yet, what happens when a medical device, designed to heal or enhance your well-being, instead causes harm? Defective medical device claims arise in such instances, providing victims an avenue to seek justice and compensation. Contact a seasoned Rochester defective medical device lawyer from Lacy Katzen LLP today for a free consultation.
Defective Medical Device Lawyer | Here for Victims of Dangerous Medical Devices & Drugs
If you or a loved one has been harmed by a defective medical device or drug, our legal team is here to help. Speak with a knowledgeable Rochester defective product lawyer so we can get started working on your case and fighting for the justice you deserve.
Understanding Defective Medical Device Claims
Defective medical devices can have a profound impact on patients. From devices meant to regulate heart rhythms to implants designed to enhance mobility, a malfunction or defect can lead to severe medical complications, prolonged suffering, or even death. Some prevalent examples of defective medical devices over the years include:
- Hip Implants: Certain hip replacement implants, notably some metal-on-metal designs, have caused complications like premature wear, poisoning due to metal ions, and further surgeries to rectify the damage.
- Transvaginal Mesh: Designed to treat conditions like pelvic organ prolapse, complications from this mesh have included infections, organ perforation, bleeding, and pain during intercourse.
- Heart Defibrillators: These life-saving devices can turn life-threatening if they malfunction, potentially delivering unwarranted shocks or failing to operate during a cardiac event.
- Blood-Testing Devices: Devices that provide inaccurate results can lead to misdiagnoses, unnecessary treatments, and a host of related medical issues.
- IVC Filters: Intended to prevent blood clots from traveling to the lungs, some of these filters have fractured or migrated, leading to internal injuries.
- Insulin Pumps: Malfunctions can deliver incorrect insulin doses, posing grave risks to diabetic patients.
- Breast Implants: Some implants have been associated with a rare type of cancer called anaplastic large cell lymphoma and may also rupture or cause complications.
- Hernia Mesh: Used in hernia repair surgeries, some types of hernia mesh have caused complications like infections, adhesions, and bowel obstructions.
- Morcellators: Used in hysterectomies, these devices can potentially spread and upstage undiagnosed cancer in women.
- Power Morcellators: Employed in laparoscopic surgeries, these devices have been linked to the spread of uterine cancer in some patients.
Grounds for Filing a Defective Medical Device Claim
Patients and their families can seek compensation through defective medical device claims under various grounds:
- Manufacturing Defect: The device’s flaw arose during its production or assembly process.
- Design Defect: An inherent flaw in the device’s design makes it inherently risky or defective.
- Inadequate Instructions or Warnings: The manufacturer failed to provide comprehensive instructions or didn’t adequately warn of potential risks.
Statute of Limitations for Defective Product Claims
Time is of the essence when it comes to legal claims. In New York, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims, including those related to defective medical devices, is typically three years from the date of injury. However, certain nuances and exceptions might apply, especially when the injury’s discovery occurs later. It’s imperative to consult a defective medical device lawyer sooner, rather than later, to understand the timeframe applicable to your situation.
Contact Lacy Katzen LLP Today
Medical devices play a pivotal role in the healthcare realm. They promise better health outcomes, enhanced quality of life, and, often, a glimmer of hope. When they fail due to defects, the physical, emotional, and financial toll on victims can be immeasurable. If you’ve sustained an injury due to a defective medical device, please don’t hesitate to contact a lawyer from our Rochester firm today. Lacy Katzen LLP is here to fight for you, every step of the way.