Medication errors can be as devastating as any surgical or procedural mistake. Whether you or a loved one has been affected by such an oversight, understanding your rights and the intricacies of medication errors is crucial. Contact a skilled Rochester medication error lawyer from Lacy Katzen LLP for a free initial consultation.
Medication Error Lawyer | Fighting for Victims of Negligence and Malpractice
Medication errors can be incredibly costly to victims. If you were harmed by a physician or pharmacist due to a medication error of any kind, please don’t hesitate to contact a dedicated Rochester medical malpractice lawyer from our firm for help.
Common Types/Examples of Medication Errors
Medication errors can come in a variety of forms, common medication errors include:
- Wrong Drug Prescribed or Administered: This occurs when a patient is given a medication meant for another ailment or another patient.
- Incorrect Dosage: Too much or too little of a drug can lead to severe complications or a lack of therapeutic effect.
- Mixing Medications: Some drugs can have adverse reactions when combined, which can lead to toxic effects or diminish their therapeutic value.
- Failure to Account for Allergies: Administering a drug the patient is allergic to can lead to severe reactions or even death.
- Mislabeling Medications: When a drug is mislabeled, it can lead to its misuse.
- Miscommunication: A simple misinterpretation of a doctor’s handwriting or failure in verbal communication can result in the wrong drug being administered.
- Failure to Monitor: Not keeping track of a patient’s response to a drug can result in preventable complications.
- Dispensing Errors: This happens when a pharmacist provides the wrong drug or the wrong dosage to a patient.
- Administration Errors: Occurs when a nurse or medical professional administers a drug incorrectly (wrong route, time, or rate).
- Failure to Educate: Patients not informed about the proper use, storage, and potential side effects of their medications.
If you or a loved one has been harmed as a result of any of the aforementioned medication errors, our firm stands ready to fight for the justice you deserve.
Complications from Medication Errors
Complications can range from mild symptoms like nausea or rashes to severe issues such as organ damage, neurological complications, or even death. The psychological trauma of knowing one’s suffering was preventable can also have long-term effects on a patient’s mental health.
Pharmacy Vs. Doctor Medication Errors
Typically, medication errors are either caused by a person’s treating physician or pharmacy workers. Both of these parties can potentially be held liable for these mistakes.
- Pharmacy Errors: Generally involve mistakes made during the dispensing process. This could include giving the wrong drug, wrong dosage, or even the wrong patient’s medication. Mislabeling and not providing adequate information are also common pharmacy errors.
- Doctor Errors: Often involve prescribing the wrong drug, the wrong dosage, or neglecting to consider a patient’s medical history and potential drug interactions.
Valid Medical Malpractice Claim for a Medication Error
To know if you have a valid medical malpractice claim, consider the following:
- Duty of Care: There must have been a doctor-patient relationship where the doctor owed the patient a duty of care.
- Breach: The medical professional failed to meet the standard of care expected in their profession.
- Causation: It must be proven that the negligence caused the injury or harm.
- Damages: The patient suffered harm, either physically, mentally, or both, due to the error.
Our legal team has extensive experience handling cases involving medication errors, and we’re prepared to put that experience to work for you in your case as well.
Statute of Limitations for Medical Malpractice Claims in NYS
In New York State, the statute of limitations for medical malpractice claims is typically 2.5 years (30 months) from the date of the alleged negligence or misconduct. However, there are limited exceptions. It’s always best to contact as soon after noticing your injury as you can.
Contact a New York Medication Error Lawyer Today
Medication errors, though common, can have life-altering consequences. If you or a loved one has been affected, it’s imperative to understand your rights and seek professional legal counsel. Our dedicated team of Rochester medication error lawyers is here to provide valuable advice and help navigate the intricacies of medical malpractice claims in New York. Your health and well-being are of the utmost importance; let us ensure you get the justice you deserve. Contact a medication error lawyer for a free consultation today.