Scooters offer convenience and versatility, especially for those living in urban areas like Rochester where e-scooters, like those owned by Veo, are readily available for rent. That said, they are not without risk, and e-scooter accidents, unfortunately, have seen a notable surge. If you or a loved one has been involved in an e-scooter accident caused by another party’s negligence, contact a seasoned Rochester lawyer from Lacy Katzen LLP for help.
Scooter Accident Lawyer | Fighting for Accident Victims in Rochester
Scooter accidents can be devastating. Fortunately, however, with the right legal team in your corner, you can recover compensation for the resources you need to get back on your feet again. A dedicated Rochester personal injury lawyer here at Lacy Katzen LLP stands ready to fight for your right to a swift recovery.
Common Causes of E-Scooter Accidents
E-scooters, being smaller and often less visible than other vehicles, are inherently more vulnerable. A few primary causes behind these accidents are as follows:
- Manufacturing Flaws: Malfunctions in brakes, accelerators, or the steering mechanism can cause unexpected accidents.
- Battery Issues: Overheating, explosions, or sudden power losses due to battery defects can result in rider injuries.
- Wear and Tear: Rental e-scooters not maintained or inspected regularly can lead to accidents due to worn-out parts.
- Improper Road Maintenance: Potholes, uneven pavement, and other road defects can result in e-scooter riders losing balance or control, especially at higher speeds.
- Obstructed Pathways: Objects like garbage, construction materials, or unsecured signboards left on sidewalks or pathways can become dangerous obstacles for e-scooter riders.
- Improperly Parked Vehicles: Vehicles parked in e-scooter lanes, driveways, or on sidewalks can force riders to maneuver in unpredictable ways, putting them at risk.
- Negligent Drivers: Lack of attention to e-scooter riders, such as not checking mirrors or blind spots, failing to signal, or not yielding right-of-way, can result in harmful collisions. Distracted driving, such as texting or using the phone, poses a significant risk to e-scooter users.
- Lack of Proper Signage: Inadequate or unclear road signs can create hazardous conditions for e-scooter riders by causing confusion or failing to alert both riders and drivers to potential risks.
- Insufficient Lighting: Poorly lit areas, especially on streets and pathways frequented by e-scooters, can make it hard for riders to spot obstacles or for drivers to see the e-scooter, leading to potential accidents.
Recovering Compensation After an E-Scooter Accident
The aftermath of an e-scooter accident can be both physically and financially draining. However, victims have the right to seek compensation for their damages, including:
- Medical bills: This includes immediate treatment, surgeries, hospital stays, and even long-term therapy if needed.
- Lost wages: If the injury prevents you from working, you can seek compensation for lost income.
- Pain and suffering: This encompasses both physical pain and emotional distress.
The specific process to recover these compensations depends on the nature of the accident. If the accident was due to another party’s negligence, the victim can file a personal injury claim against the responsible individual or entity.
Statute of Limitations
In New York, victims have a limited time frame to initiate a lawsuit after an e-scooter accident. This period, known as the statute of limitations, is generally three years from the date of the accident. However, certain circumstances might reduce or extend this time frame. Engaging with an attorney early on ensures you don’t miss out on your window to file a claim. If you wait to file your claim and the statute of limitations expires, you’ll most likely be permanently barred from pursuing compensation.
Contact an E-Scooter Accident Lawyer Today
Scooter accidents, while unfortunate, do not spell the end of the road for victims. With a competent e-scooter accident lawyer in your corner, you can maximize your chances of recovering the compensation you deserve and need. Contact Lacy Katzen LLP today for a free initial consultation.