If I have to get title insurance for my lender, why isn’t that good enough?

Updated March 13, 2023.

The type of title insurance required by your lender is different from the type of insurance you would obtain for yourself. The insurance required by your lender (called a “Mortgagee Policy”) protects only the lender and provides no protection to the buyer (even though the buyer pays for the policy). The policy obtained by a buyer (called an “Owner’s Policy” or “Fee Policy”, referring not to the cost for the policy but the nature of the ownership of the land) protects the buyer. Fortunately, if you need to provide your lender with a Mortgagee Policy, you do not need to buy an entirely separate Owner’s Policy. Instead, for an increase in the premium (but far less than the cost of two separate policies), the title insurance company will provide a policy that will protect both the lender and the buyer.


Read our latest news and blogs that discuss important legal issues.

Foam linked to cancer
Chemicals in Firefighting Foam Linked to Cancer
Read More
person writing with a pen on a table next to a calculator
Understanding New York State and Federal Estate Taxes: Be Aware of the Potential 2026 Cliff
Read More

Get in touch

Please do not provide any sensitive information (i.e. bank account information or social security number).

"*" indicates required fields

Why Choose Lacy Katzen

Our mission is to ethically serve our clients with excellence and teamwork each day.

Over 73 Years of Experience
Nine Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America®
Ranked by Best Lawyers as a Best Law Firm®
Six Attorneys Named as Super Lawyers
One Attorney is a Fellow at the American College of Trial Lawyers

Accessibility Toolbar