Do I need to obtain homeowner’s insurance before the closing?

Updated March 13, 2023.

Once you accept your mortgage commitment, notify your insurance agent that you intend to purchase a new home. Your agent will usually request a copy of your mortgage commitment, since it sets forth certain information regarding your lender’s requirements for your insurance. Your insurance agent will prepare your policy and provide you with the documents you will need in order to close. Be prepared to pay a full year of your insurance premium to your agent when you have the policy prepared. Your mortgage lender will not allow the closing to be scheduled without this insurance in place and proof that this has been done.


Read our latest news and blogs that discuss important legal issues.

person writing with a pen on a table next to a calculator
Federal Estate Tax Change Scheduled for January 1, 2026. Be Aware of the New York State Tax “Cliff”.
Read More
Foam linked to cancer
Chemicals in Firefighting Foam Linked to Cancer
Read More

Get in touch

Please do not provide any sensitive information (i.e. bank account information or social security number).

"*" indicates required fields

Why Choose Lacy Katzen

Our mission is to ethically serve our clients with excellence and teamwork each day.

Over 73 Years of Experience
Nine Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America®
Ranked by Best Lawyers as a Best Law Firm®
Six Attorneys Named as Super Lawyers
One Attorney is a Fellow at the American College of Trial Lawyers

Accessibility Toolbar